Steakosaurus Candy! | Steakosaurus Candy! – Steakosaurus

Steakosaurus Candy!

Last night I decided to use one side of my two part steakosaurus mold to make some steakosaurus candy. I used Wilton’s moldable candy for this: Wilton’s Candy Melts I used the pink vanilla flavored kind, mostly tastes like white chocolate.

It’s quite easy to use, just follow the instructions on the back. I couldn’t find a ‘defrost’ button on my microwave, just a melt button. I ran it for 1:30 on the 4oz setting. It was definitely melted enough but it was still in wafer form so I kept melting. After about 30 more seconds it caught on fire. Now my house smells like burnt chocolate.

Next batch I again did the 1:30. There were still chunks but they melted in consistently very easily once I started stirring. Ultimately I will make a new silicone mold with a candy bar rectangle and more of a bas relief design. However for this I just thoroughly cleaned out my existing steakosaurus mold and used half of it like an open pour mold. It worked enough – the spines are pretty thin though.

After pouring, I put it in the freezer for about 5 minutes. By the time I checked, it was totally hard. If I were to go back in time and give myself advice, I might warm it up just a bit more as the directions say or try the double pot boiling method instead of the microwave. Mine was pretty liquefied but there were some issues in the feet where it didn’t get every nook and cranny.

Hopefully anyone interested in doing this will find it helpful. I’ll make a blog post eventually on how to make the mold, but a quick google will get you tons of info on that. Feel free to email me if you have any questions: crydrk@sbcglobal.net

The result:




Don’t cook too long! This gaff filled my apartment with smoke:


Curing in the mold – not sure yet how to make it nice and smooth, will update when I find out:



← Previous post

Next post →

1 Comment

  1. WOW

Leave a Reply